- Highly-skilled in creating HTML and CSS.
- Thinks PHP is actually pretty cool.
- Loves task runners, package managers, version control, && automation scripts.
- Knowledgeable on accessibility, user-experience, responsive web design, and Drupal.
- Excessive knowledge on ideal coffee brewing ratios, temperatures, and devices.
Web Developer & Content Specialist
Doane University — Crete, NE & Remote
August 2013 - Present
This role is housed in IT, but requires working closely with the marketing office to develop Web features showcasing Doane University to prospective on-ground and online students.
My role at Doane involves a lot of planning, communicating, and problem solving. It is rare for a project to not involve multiple departments, each with varying stakes in the end product. It is because of this that I have honed my ability to empathize with my client groups, and effectively translate their needs from ideas to end-products.
Day to Day
- Utilize my thorough knowledge of WCAG standards to continuosly improve, and QA content and UI across Doane's website to ensure it meets expected standards.
- Maintain current and legacy code bases written using PHP, HTML, and CSS.
- Develop custom Drupal modules as needed to prevent new features from interfering with base theme.
- Extensive problem solving for Drupal related needs.
- HTML Email Design and Development.
- Manage implementation of Google Tag Manager across doane.edu.
- Create and deliver reports from Google Analytics.
- Supervisor for Web interns, typically 1 per academic year, in IT for the past 3 years.
- Lead training of all new Web authors and Web editors to meet website standards. 30 active authors & editors per year.
Web Developer Assistant
Fort Western Stores — eCommerce Department — Lincoln, NE
March 2011 - August 2013
Web development focused on eCommerce needs including SEO, HTML Email development, and daily writing of HTML, CSS, and PHP.
- Developed new features for and maintained fortwestern.com.
- Optimized website for mobile browsers.
- Actively created social media content reflecting new events and deals for customers.
- Developed and implemented SEO strategies, including maintaining a link-building regimen, as well as daily industry appropriate blog writing. (I learned a lot about western style blue jeans and cowboy boots.)
Bookseller & Marketing Coordinator
Indigo Bridge Books & Cafe — Lincoln, NE
April 2010 - July 2011
I was hired primarily as a bookseller, but quickly moved into developing marketing plans and the website to attract more customers.
- Edited and managed the Indigo Bridge website and blog using a CMS.
- Designed and developed marketing campaigns based on my formal public relations education for monthly events such as the First Friday Art Walk.
- Utilized print media to market various events, such as Banned Books Week. This was my favorite event I ever managed for Indigo Bridge. I could still discuss it ad nauseum.
- Maintained stock levels for assigned sections using Booklog POS Software.
- Managed the upgrade to a new version of Booklog.
- Developed a training manual for employees on how to fully utilize Booklog. Most importantly educating staff on the electronic requests system, removing the need for a loss-prone paper & basket system.
- Researched new and upcoming releases to make informed stock decisions.
sRAT | Personal Project
The Squad Readiness Assessment Test is SAAS born from the need for a modern in-class quiz tool to replicate the scratch-off cards that have more traditionally been used in team-based learning environments. sRAT allows teams of students to collectively take quizzes added by their professor live during class.
Learn more about sRAT through the GitHub ReadMe file.
- Foundation 6
- AWS EC2
Project Request Forms | Doane University
In an effort to streamline requests coming into the marketing and web team offices I created a pair of forms which collect pertinent project and/or request information from a user, then sends that data to Flow - our project management system. Users also have the choice to submit example files with their requests, these files are then sent to a Google Team Drive.
The repository for my Flow form development process allows for a closer look at solving this problem.
Open Learning Academy | Doane University
The Read Me file available on GitHub offers a more in-depth look at this process.
- Foundation 6
Doane Magazine | Doane University
In late 2018 Doane University launched a fully online magazine experience for its alumni. Loaded with fresh layouts from the UI Designer I worked to build out the Drupal needs for this project. There are many custom templates, content types, views, blocks all coming together in the updated Doane Magazine webpages.
Testimonials | Doane University
Marketing efforts at Doane began to include collected testimonials from current students and alumni. I was tasked with designing and developing a home for the testimonials on the Doane website. Utilizing a custom content type, Views, and a hefty amount of custom templating the testimonials can be viewed collectively, individually, and even placed in randomized blocks wherever desired on the site.
Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communications
with Public Relations emphasis
Magna Cum Laude
Sam Houston State University — Huntsville, TX